Plan Ahead to Be Prepared
Good to Know
- Get food, water and gas before you go.
- Drive slowly, mountain roads can be rough with gravel in many places. Some roads require high clearance vehicles. Gravel and windy roads take 2-3x longer than you might expect. Backcountry roads may require 10-20mph speeds.
- Don’t depend on Google Maps, they can lead you astray. .
- All vehicles are required to carry chains on mountain passes and inside Mt Rainier National Park, November 1 to May 1.
- Take extra food and water on hikes and in the car. Note when the last chance to gas up your vehicle.
- Leave an itinerary with someone who is not going on the trip. Include when and where you’re going, what you intend to do, and when you expect to return. Check in with them at appointed times.
- Know the trails. Take a map and don't depend on digital maps in the backcountry.
- The Stevens Canyon Road will be closed weekdays during 2023 for road repairs and conditions. https://www.nps.gov/mora/planyourvisit/stevens-canyon-road-rehabilitatio...
Longmire to Paradise 2022-23 Winter Road Access Closure Mondays-FridaysThe winter of 2022-23, public access to Paradise is limited to Saturdays and Sundays, weather/staff/equipment dependent. Due to staffing shortages, the park does not have the capacity to maintain public access 7 day/week. This closure will be removed as soon as snow melt allows access 24/7.
- La Wis Wis Campground, east of Packwood will be closed during 2023 in order to replace the water system.