Mt. Rainier National Park
Summer 2020 Update: Due to COVID19, Services are limited at Paradise and Sunrise. Notable changes in services include:
- In addition to the trip planning information on the park’s website, information is also available on-site, outside visitor centers. Visitor and wilderness information centers, including the Carbon River Ranger Station remain closed for public safety during the COVID response. Look for information stations set up outside visitor centers and information boards at Paradise.
- Backcountry camping permits are required and are available online. They are not available inside the park but must be obtained prior to visiting the park.
- There are no food, lodging, or gift shops available at Paradise. The Paradise Inn is closed this year. The picnic area is open for use and food and lodging facilities outside the park are open.
- The National Park Inn at Longmire is open for gifts, grab and go food only, and lodging at a limited capacity.
- Grab and go food service only and the gift shop are available at the Sunrise Day Lodge.
- Campgrounds throughout the park are partially open with some sites closed due to hazard trees. Visit the park website for more information on campgrounds.
Ascending to 14,410 feet above sea level, Mount Rainier stands as an icon in the Washington landscape. An active volcano, Mount Rainier is the most glaciated peak in the contiguous U.S.A., spawning six major rivers. On line passes available now at https://yourpassnow.com/ParkPass/park/mora
Subalpine wildflower meadows ring the icy volcano while ancient forest cloaks Mount Rainier’s lower slopes. Wildlife abounds in the park’s ecosystems. A lifetime of discovery awaits. Mt. Rainier is famous for the wildflowers in the meadows. https://www.nps.gov/mora/planyourvisit/wildflower-status.htm
There are miles and miles of trails for all skill levels. Be sure to carry your ten essentials and tell others where you are going. https://www.nps.gov/mora/planyourvisit/trails-of-mount-rainier.htm
Paradise is a year-round viewpoint from Ashford. Paradise Inn and the Jackson Memorial Visitor Center serve as headquarters for many day and overnight visitors. Sunrise is open in July to October. Day lodge and visitor center provide amenities for summer guests.