Randle is a mainly residential community, in unincorporated Lewis County with some services and supplies. It has an active timber mill and the ranger station for the Cowlitz Valley Ranger District of the Gifford Pinchot National Forest.
Randle, 49 miles east of I-5, is also the intersection between the White Pass Scenic Byway and the road connecting to the major roads through the Gifford Pinchot National Forest, FS 23, FS 25 and FS 99. This is the direct route to the Windy Ridge viewpoint of Mount St. Helens, Mount Adams backcountry and to a wide variety of outdoor recreation in the forest. Randle is home to a herd of resident elk who often graze in fields along the roadside. The Cowlitz River is a great fishing area and the scenic beauty is beyond compare.
Situated along the busy US Highway 12, White Pass Scenic Byway in Randle near milepost 116, you will find one of the area's hidden gems. Since 1973, the local community members of the Illahee Garden Club have been maintaining a small, but significant roadside attraction. Funding from a grant helped revive the garden in 2019-2020. The Big Bottom Valley, named for the "big" flat valley floor that is at the base of Mount Adams, Mount Rainier, and Mount St. Helens. The area was named for James L. Randle, the first justice of the peace in the area in 1886. Another famous heritage was Matriarch Mary Kiona of the Upper Cowlitz Native American Tribe, who lived her entire life in the Randle area until her death in 1970 at an age reported to be 115-121 years. She is famous for her basket-making craft using local plant resources.
The distinction as the Blue Star Memorial Highway was bestowed on this Illahee Roadside Park in 2007. The National program sets tribute to all men and women who serve in the US Armed Services and was started by the National Garden Clubs, inc in 1945 during World War II. A flagpole is was added to the park at that time. Illahee, meaning the Universe..the sun, moon and stars, the earth and every growing thing aptly applies to this group dedicated to preserving our native gardens.